Do you need a camping mat?
When packing your camping equipment, you should ensure a comfortable night’s rest. Of course, an indispensable attribute is a sleeping bag that warms during sleep. But will it be comfortable to rest if you put the sleeping bag on the grass or the bottom of the tent? After such a dream, a person is provided with pain in the neck or back, which will negatively affect the further pastime in the campaign. There is a way out: to supplement the equipment with a tourist rug.
A tourist rug (karemat) should be chosen, paying attention to the thickness (the larger, the more comfortable the rest), warmth (the value can range from 1 to 8, most have an indicator of 3–4) and the ratio of warmth to weight.
Tourist rug: main purpose, types
Many people around the world prefer to spend their leisure time in nature, regardless of the time of year. However, it is difficult for a person to overcome long routes without rest. There is a certain set of equipment that is difficult to do without when hiking: a backpack, a tent, a sleeping bag, a tourist rug (karemat). The latter protects against cold and moisture when sitting or during sleep, and also smoothes the relief, providing comfort. Karemat is covered under a sleeping bag, a tent, used for halts.
Travel mats come in different types:
- polyurethane foam — have good thermal insulation, are versatile and have a low price, differ in thickness (greater thickness provides softness and reliable protection, but increases weight);
- self-inflating — have the structure of a washcloth with a thickness of 2.5 to 10 cm, protect well from cold and moisture, correct small irregularities, but quickly deteriorate upon contact with sharp objects or sparks of fire;
- inflatable — a wide variety in weight and content (synthetics, fluff), they have proven themselves well in hiking with strong temperature changes, including the winter season.
How to choose a travel mat for a tent?
When choosing a karemat, many indicators should be taken into account: the time of year, the type of hike (the area where the camping is to be laid out), the size of the backpack and tent, the type of sleeping bag, height, gender of the tourist. Accordingly, rugs differ not only in appearance, but also in size, shape:
- 119–130 cm — designed for a part of the body, an ideal solution for supporters of the minimum load;
- 183 cm — the most common parameters for average height;
- larger models correspond to the W size (which indicates a large width) — ideal for a tent or for camping;
The shape of the rugs can be rectangular and cocoon-shaped (the second option is suitable for tents in the form of a trapezoid).
How much does the travel mat weigh?
An experienced tourist has various tourist equipment in his arsenal, including a rug, without which it is difficult to imagine a good outdoor recreation. However, it can be difficult for a beginner to figure out which mattress is better to buy so that it is comfortable during sleep and not difficult when moving. To choose an irreplaceable attribute correctly, you should figure out how much the tourist rug weighs.
The weight of the karemat is calculated in a folded state (it is in this version that tourists carry it) and depends on the type:
- Izhevsk — 430 g;
- inflatable — 400‑4000 g;
- self-inflating — 600–900 g;
- seat — 80–300 g.
Of course, the weight category is of great importance when overcoming long distances (less mass is more attractive). However, low weight may indicate poor strength, thermal conductivity, or overpricing. You may not feel discomfort when moving, but it’s hard to endure sleep or, conversely, rest comfortably at night, but travel distances with a big burden. In any case, it is necessary to choose, taking into account priority factors.
How to fold a travel mat?
Comfort should always be: during sleep, when moving, stopping for a halt. That is why it is important to pack the backpack correctly so that all the necessary things fit. The travel mat can be folded in different ways:
- outside — does not occupy the inner place of the backpack, does not require opening in case of halts. Cons — frequent losses, a kink at the place of twisting, difficulties in folding in the winter season;
- deployed inside — takes up space, strengthening the walls of the tourist bag. Disadvantages — inconvenience if you need to constantly get on halts;
- twisted inside — eliminates losses during a tourist holiday, but takes up a lot of space if the backpack is small;
- accordion — evenly distributes the load, it is convenient to lay out when sitting. Disadvantages — takes up a lot of space inside;
- below outside — does not take up internal space, protects the bag from contamination, but not all backpacks have similar fastening loops;
- on the facade outside — they are used with a wide tourist backpack, this arrangement negatively affects the back (the center of gravity shifts).
Each tourist chooses independently the optimal placement of the rug, because for a great holiday, the main thing is convenience and comfort.
Large selection of travel mats in the Adventure online store
The Adventure online store offers a huge selection of travel products, including travel mats. A wide variety allows you to choose equipment for a comfortable stay, according to any preferences: pillows, seats, foam, mattress, inflatable and self-inflating mat, karemat, etc. Affordable price, excellent quality are the main advantages of a reliable online store in Ukraine. The catalog of the Adventure online store contains a huge variety of tourist rugs that differ in type, size, weight, thickness. When choosing, one should take into account such factors as the time of year, the duration of the rest, the area, the dimensions of the tourist.
For a short rest, a karemat-foam is perfect, which has a low weight and excellent thermal conductivity. A more comfortable sleep will be provided by self-inflating mattresses, besides, the tourist will not feel discomfort with small surface irregularities. Going on vacation in the winter, you can take two options for karemats: foam and self-inflating. Such a “burger” will reliably warm in any situation. Of course, it is important when choosing to take into account the recommended temperature regime indicated on the product. Also, small-sized pillows and seats can provide convenience.
Comfort is the main indicator of a successful holiday. When choosing a mat, pay attention to the type, dimensions and weight, which many reliable manufacturers try to minimize as much as possible for comfort in any conditions. Adventure store managers will always help with recommendations so that your active holiday brings only positive emotions!
In the Adventure online store, you can buy a travel mat at an affordable price for a variety of trips: summer, demi-season, winter, under a tent, for outdoor recreation, for flat or mountainous terrain. Store managers will help with the choice, taking into account all the wishes of customers!