One of the most interesting cities in Ukraine with a rich historical past is Khotyn. It is located in the Chernivtsi region. The settlement is considered one of the most ancient cities of the times of Kievan Rus, which was known as far back as the 10th-11th centuries. At the moment, it is famous for its unique architectural monuments and picturesque nature.
How did Khotyn come about?
History says that from the X-XI centuries. the city was part of Kievan Rus, in the XII century. he moved to the Galician principality. From the 14th century the city becomes the subject of a dispute between the authorities of several states at once: the Moldavian principality, the Ottoman Empire and the Commonwealth. For about 100 years, Khotyn was considered a powerful Turkish garrison.
A significant event in history was the capture of Khotyn in 1739 by the Russian army. The result was the signing of the Belgrade Peace Treaty. After another Russian-Turkish war in 1812, the city joined Russia and was part of the Bessarabian province. In 1918, as many as 5 countries claimed the city, as a result, Romania occupied Khotyn and annexed it to its territory. However, in 1919 an uprising broke out, and the city was annexed to the Ukrainian-Khotin directory. Since 1940, Khotyn became the regional center of the Ukrainian SSR.
Tourists interested in the past of Ukraine will be able to visit unique places in the city of Khotyn, which include the following:
- Khotyn fortress (XIII-XV centuries), it is an architectural monument, which belongs to the Seven Wonders of Ukraine. Currently, its territory is recognized as a reserve, and an annual festival in the style of the Middle Ages is also held here.
- Stone Intercession Churchwhich was built in the Moscow diocesan style in 1867-1868.
- Museum of Local Lore, which was opened in 1963, in a historic building built in 1868. The museum exposition consists of 5 exhibition halls where you can see materials from archaeological excavations, Trypillia artifacts and things from the 10th to the 18th centuries. There is a separate exhibition dedicated to the topic «Khotin region — Slavic land».
- Khotinsky National Park, which began its work in 2011. It covers an area of about 9500 hectares, most of it is the Dniester River basin. On the territory you can see plants listed in the Red Book, a huge number of different animals and birds live here.
Hotels and restaurants in Khotyn
Tourists who decide to visit this city will be able to stay in one of the comfortable hotels located in the immediate vicinity. Some of the most popular accommodation options include:
- Four Inns Hotel offers cozy rooms of different categories, a restaurant, room service, fast internet access, a beautiful garden. This room features a flat-screen TV, hairdryer, dining area, furniture and air conditioning. Some rooms offer beautiful panoramic views of the garden and the city.
- Empire Hotel. For its guests, it provides a parking space, a food delivery service to the room. The air-conditioned room features a TV and a private bathroom with all necessary amenities.
- In the city of Khotyn, it is worth visiting the Chishma restaurant, the Na Zavarskaya cafe and the Nika cafe. The establishments offer to taste delicious Ukrainian and European cuisine, fresh desserts for every taste.
How to get there?
Khotyn on the map of Ukraine is located in the Chernivtsi region on the banks of the Dniester, it is located at a distance of about 27 km from Kamenetz-Podolsky. Tourist excursions and buses often depart from the last settlement in Khotyn.