The largest district of Suriname, which is located in the south of the country, is known as Sipaliwini. There is no administrative center in the district, because it is directly controlled by the government from Paramaribo. The district consists of such villages as Appicano, Apetina, Puketi, Pokigron, Botopasi and others. The population is about 35 thousand people.
The county has a rich colonial heritage, natural beauty and vibrant culture. Most of it is covered with forest and natural savannah. Among the local attractions it is worth noting the following:
- Central Suriname Reserve. The reserve covers an area of 16 thousand km2, which is 12% of the entire area of the country. There are about 5 thousand here. plants, about 400 species of birds and 200 species of mammals. Unique fauna includes jaguars, giant armadillos, giant river otters, tapirs and eight species of primates. Among the birds you can find a harpy, a Guiana rock cockerel and several varieties of macaws. The main purpose of creating the reserve is to preserve the forest zone from cutting down trees and mining. In 2000, it was included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Tepui are impressive mountain plateaus with steep and often vertical slopes. They look like interesting granite domes that rise above the surrounding jungle. Of particular note is the Volzberg — a granite dome that rises 150 m. If you wish, you can climb it, although the climb will not be too safe.
- Suriname River, which stretches for 480 km. The upper part of this reservoir is located in the Sipaliwini district.
- Mount Kasikashima, this is one of the highlights of this region. The view from the mountain is impressive, you can also meet the locals here. On a hill there are huts where you can stay for the night.
- Guava Gallery, it is surrounded by picturesque mountains and soft green hills. The gallery is a sparkling showcase of locally made jewelry and unique art. It is a family attraction, three generations worked on its creation. The gallery has a jewelry store with a wide range of engagement rings, earrings, bracelets, gemstones and antiques.
There are decent places to stay in the area where tourists can stay. Basically, these are houses that are located in the forest zone. Some hotels have access to the river and have an outdoor terrace with a table and chairs. Some of the most popular accommodation options include:
- Awarradam Jungle Lodge, Anaula Nature Resort — the territory has an outdoor pool, playgrounds for children and hammocks, where you can relax on the street.
- Jungle Lodge Palumeu, Knini Paati — Jungle & River Eco Resort – the rooms are presented in the form of bungalows, they are clean and spacious. Delicious meals can be arranged for guests, as well as tea, coffee or juices throughout the day.
How to get there?
Sipaliwini County is located in the south of the country, on the border with Brazil. The only way to get to its territory is by river rafting.